Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Intro: Who am I?

John Galt!

Amirite?  Eh eh?  Get it?  Anyone?  *crickets*  hooookay, moving on.

So, who am I, you ask?  I'm me.  That's who.  This blog, as described in my previous post is simply a tale relating my life here in I-da-ho.  My life as a social pariah in I-da-ho.

I am...Hannibal.  Yep.  Pretty cheesy, but I also feel a certain sense of privacy.  This is the internet you know.  I am not a blabbermouth.  Or, in the words of the great show, Dragnet:

"Ladies and gentlemen: the story you are about to hear is true. Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

 
Therefore, you do not get my real name.  And so what if I picked a man's name.  Hannibal is one of my all-time favourite books and is my favourite fictional character ever created.  I guess I could have gone for Trajan, or Julius or Eleanor.  But I could not think of those ones soon enough and I still feel Hannibal is the best one for me. :-)  Oh, that also means, any names I post on here are also pseudonyms.  I like the majority of the people I interact with and do respect their privacy...to a certain degree, ha!  But if they do or say something worth putting in here, by all means, it will go in here (tehehehe).

My Backstory:
I live in Idaho.  I am not a native of Idaho.  I was born in the Midwest.  Attended a four year DIII liberal arts college.  Moved to the East Coast after graduation.  Attempted to earn my Masters while working full time.  Did not succeed. Had a monotonous desk job that was soul-sucking and learned that I am not able to work in a group of women, much less have one (or a few) be my bosses.  I hated life out East.  I quit my job and joined AmeriCorps.  I moved out West to the middle of Bum Fuck Egypt.  The nearest neighbor was over five miles away.  To buy groceries was roughly 100mi round trip.  To get gas was a 20mi round trip.  I worked as free slave labor.  I learned to explore and adventure on a solo-you-better-know-your-shit-or-you-die-out-here style.  I also made some fantastic friends along the way.  And then that ended and I am here, to Idaho.  It was either Idaho (where there are trees and people with some teeth) or Reno (where there are no trees and most people do not have their teeth).  Idaho won.

Things I learned along the way:
  • NEVER watch The Hills Have Eyes and 30 Days and 30 Nights at night when you live in BFE by yourself.
  • When stacking packed 90lb bags of concrete mix, do not just "plop" them on the dolly while leaning over the dolly.  There is this thing called momentum and gravity.  And when your head is in the way of the trajectory of the dolly handles, it really hurts when impact is made.  Ask me how I know.
  • Everybody has baggage.  Some are simply better at packing and lugging them around than others.
  • I think everyone should take a solo road trip across the United States at least once.  Your ass will sleep and atrophy.  Your shoulders will ache like hell.  And your legs want nothing more than to stretch themselves.  But the sights are sometimes worth it.  And it makes you appreciate how vast the Unites States really is.  But here's the caveat: the middle of the U.S. sucks.  Go ahead and skip those parts.
  • As you grow up and move around, you sometimes lose your sense of "home base."  The longer you live away from your parents home (the home you grew up in), the less that place feels like home.  But when you move as often as I do, sometimes you're still looking for it.
  • Vehicle maintenance.  Let's say it all together now.  Ve-hi-cle Mai-nten-ance.  Follow this as if it was a religion.  You'll be thankful later.
  • Wrist tattoos hurt.  A LOT.
I'm sure there's more.  But that's all I could think of off the top of my head.

My Idaho Stats:
  • Female-ish: yay!?  Except certain days of the month.  I've seriously considered selling my uterus on the black market- "Like new!  Never been used!"
  • In 30s: Not sure if this is yay or nay.  Vote is still out on that one.
  • Single
  • Childless: eee gads, 'nuf said
  • Educated: Ask me how I feel about that DIII education debt I'm still paying off...
  • Independent minded: Fuck yes I am!
  • Full-time employed for multiple years (at the same place!): In Idaho, this is quite a feat.
Ok, that's probably more than enough that you need to know about me.  But it gives you an idea of me.   I will follow up in another post with stats on Idaho itself.

Since I am sort of an odd duck, I figured what the hell, I'm going to also make this a blog about shit that captures my attention and gives me pause for thought.

Things that are off limits to this blog:

  • Identities: no bueno.  Sorry.  Nope.  Not giving those away
  • Work: I value my job.  I adore my job.  I am my job.  Nothing that I do at work will be mentioned in here.  That is not to say that interactions I have with coworkers and/or friends will not be mentioned in here.  As long as it is not about work, it can be mentioned.  No ifs, ands, or buts.
  • Bigotry and closed-mindedness: I may think and act a certain way.  But that does not mean I limit myself solely to thinking and acting those ways.  I will entertain to listen and digest someone else's point of view.  I may disagree.  But as long as those opposing view points can be supported by fact and experience that can be respected, I can respect to listen to it.  No bigotry.  No hate.  No keyboard trolls, patriots, butt-heads, weenies, whathaveyou.
And now I'm tired.  I have not even covered the tip of the iceberg here.  But alas.  That will have to wait.  Time to watch some Law and Order: Special Victims Unit before reading a chapter or few of The Last of the Mohicans and falling asleep.  I love me some Detective Olivia Benson.  Mmmhmm, yes I do.  I'd like to think she is a Hollywood fictional sister of mine.  Driven.  Childless.  Awesome.  Bad-fucking-ass!

3 comments:

  1. Great splurge o' words there...like your style! Didn't know you had a pen in ya', but now I'll swing by and break off a rant from time to time. Consider the title "Black Market Uteruses..." Catchy, edgy, and body part savvy. Your first critique! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the uterus come with the ovaries, or must they be purchased separately?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does the uterus come with the ovaries, or must they be purchased separately?

    ReplyDelete