Saturday, December 26, 2015

Happy fuckin' holidays!


This year was the 5th Christmas in a row that I have worked.  I do not mind working on holidays.  It gives people a chance with families to enjoy their time with them.  Granted, this was the first year I have been on my own, i.e. no roommates, so I admit, it actually was a bit depressing.  After work on Dec 24 and 25, I worked out in our work gym again for an hour, simply to waste time so I was not home alone depressed.  I had popcorn and beer for dinner on Christmas eve while watching "Die Hard."  I fell asleep before it was over sometime around 2100h.  Last night, I just had beer for dinner, finished watching "Die Hard" and went to bed at 2045h.  Yup.  I rock at this adulting thing.  I really need to work on the whole grocery shopping thing.  My frige literally has some cheese, pickles, beer and condiments in it.  Great.

I opened some presents from my family both nights.  I love that most of the gifts are for GORUCK events.  I am now totally set on Leukotape, Moleskin, Trail Toes, running socks and merino wool base layers.  Note to self on how to install waist straps using MOLLE system: http://news.goruck.com/gear/attaching-field-pockets-explained/ .  Thanks, Mom!  The base layers totally came in handy this week at work.  Yeesh it is cold out!  It was about 12F when I went in to work this morning.  The past few days we've had hoarfrost and frozen snow fog.  It's pretty awesome looking.  Makes getting up at 0530h for work a little prettier.  'Cause the road conditions are nothing to rave about.


My hamstrings are killing me 
today.  Apparently the lunges I did yesterday were a bit much.  Or maybe it was the 50+min of biking at near level 30 for cardio the day before?  Huh.  At the climbing gym, Alexander showed me pull up form and a system at the gym to try to improve up.  So yesterday, I tried to work on my pull ups.  Fuck.  Trying to keep elbows slightly bent and knees bent under you rather than in front AND not swinging is harder than I thought, haha!  I have a loooooong way to go to improve on that.  I have NEVER been able to do a pull up in my life.  My goal is to be able to do one in 2016.  Fuck yes!  I can do it!

I just found a hella awesome event that I REALLY want to participate in: Rebelle Rally (
www.rebellerally.com<http://www.rebellerally.com>).

The website describes it as:


The Rebelle Rally is the first women’s off-road navigation rally raid in the United States.
Blending the love of driving with the ultimate challenge of precise navigation, the Rebelle tests your skills over 7 days of competition. It is not a race for speed, but a unique and demanding event based on the elements of headings, hidden checkpoints, time, and distance using maps, compass, and roadbook.
DISTANCE

Approximately 2,000 kilometers of spectacular desert driving via dirt roads, double tracks, trails, and sand dunes. The course will cross iconic locations and off-road recreational vehicle venues.

VEHICLE CLASSES

» 4×4 – 4-wheel drive vehicles that have a two-speed transfer case (low range)
» Examples – Pickup trucks & SUVs with 4WD including Toyota Tacoma 4×4, Chevy Colorado, Land Rover / Range Rover, etc.
» Crossover – Unibody construction with all-wheel drive (no low range)
» Examples – Subaru Forrester/Outback, Mitsubishi Outlander, Toyota RAV4, etc.


Expedition Portal did a pretty nice article on the event: 
http://expeditionportal.com/the-rebelle-rally-announces-womens-navigational-event/

Oct 2016 will be their inaugural event.   Downside:  it costs $5,000/person.  Which means each person of a two person team, needs to pay this amount.  Yeeeah, nope.  No way can I afford that.  And the likelihood to find sponsors for $10,000 is pretty extreme.  I wish there were more affordable event options for us poor folk.  *sadface*

I would use my baby, the love of my life, my 2008 Jeep Wrangle Rubicon JK 2-door.  I have a build thread on Jeep Forum: 
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/gorillamels-2008-rubi-2448201/

But as I look through it, a lot of my photos and video links no longer work.  Dang you Facebook for changing the settings on photo links.  Argh.  Looks like I will need to upload to photobucket from now on.  Too bad my internet access at home is virtually non-existant.  BAH!

I miss adventuring in my Jeep.  I feel this year I have no done much of it.  Off roading took a back seat to my athletic events in 2015.  I love my GORUCK and other athletic events, they make me happy and the people I have met while doing this events are wonderful.  But I feel that something is missing in me when I do not get out  in nature in the Jeep.  Feeling that spike of adrenaline when I see an obstacle and drive over it.  Reaching the summit of some scenic vista.  Being able to bring a picnic with me to enjoy the scenery.  Yes.  I miss off roading.  I wish the Jeep did not guzzle gas so much.  Otherwise I think I would adventure more.  My goal for 2016 is to find a nice balance of athletic adventuring and Jeep adventuring.  Perhaps combining them more doing things like backpacking/hiking farther afield than the immediate foothills. :-)

My friends up in Robie Creek said I could have his old springs and shocks from his 2008 JKU that he took off for his long arm kit.  That means I can take out my pucks and have real springs with a longer travel range on them.  Yay!  When the weather gets nicer, we can install those and the rest of my OR Fab  rotopax rear bumper that I bought off my friend last year.  I'm pretty stoked for mod day.  Now it needs to get warmer ASAP so we can do it!  I need to get the AEV geometry correction brackets (http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/jk-geometry-correction-brackets-frt) for the Jeep to help with some wiggle in there.  I installed a new steering stabiliser last week at my friend's place in Robie Creek.  Fuck.  It started snowing, so I spent the night.  Snow did not stop.  I left in the morning to try to beat the downfall.  That was a super pretty drive.  I recorded some of it.  Surprisingly not as slippery as I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment