Sunday, June 14, 2015

A Spartan and a Beast

Sorry it has been so long since my last post. This not having the internet except on my phone bit really sucks. I think my last few posts with pics were done at Ms. Prince's house on her laptop. On some level, it is nice being so disconnected. But on another level it is very frustrating.

Much has happened in the last bit of time. Today was dedicated to no adulting. At all. And i failed miserably at it. Instead, i scrubbed the trailer, floors and all. Which i am sad to admit that it is disappointingly easy and fast to clean my entire abode. No challenge to it. Booo. I weeded. I got my mail. And i grocery shopped. Bah! Instead of a recovery day from the abuse i put it through yesterday, today my body was on the go. I lack the ability to be sloth.

Yesterday i completed my first Spartan (sprint) race. And it was hella hard. I did it with Team RWB. And if it were not for my amazing and supportive teammates, I am not sure I would have made it through. They pushed and pulled my ass up and over tall walls we had to scale, up slippery muddy embankments, encouraged me while trudging up long steep mountain hills, shared in the pain of doing a shit ton of burpees and partook in great camradrie through the entire event. We stayed together as a team. Even though I know most of them could have gone on and finished much faster, they chose to match the pace of the slowest of us and continue to help and cheer everyone on. We trudged and sloughed and ran and pulled and squelched and coughed (fucking evil light airy dust everywhere) and splashed and jumped and climbed together. It was fantastic!

I was so exhausted by the time we finished. It took us about 4h to go 4.2mi and do 21 obstacles and gain roughly 1250' in elev. We all crossed the finish line together- jumping over fire and into a deep mud pit. We are fucking badass! Thank you Team RWB!

Last weekend I did the Bruneau Beast 5k. Fuck. That was hard, too! I went by myself and camped the night before. It took me 1h to run that 5k. It was soft sand for 99% of the race. We ran atop the sand dunes on the ridgeline single file. I was almost on the ass of the woman in front of me just so i could put my feet exactly where hers were. The dunes were so steep that we walked up them. It took much of my energy and willpower to keep going and not stop. If i did then the line of people behind me would have been disrupted or i would have had to step off the ridge line. Oh hell no! I'd slide down! They were hella steep dunes.

Us 5kers got to run down the Beast Dune. Yup. All almost 900' of straight down. I sank into the sand almost past my calves. I ran so dang fast my shirt kept flying up, haha! And just when you think you're done at the race...there is another dune. Ack! At least it was smaller than the others, haha. I even managed to "sprint" exhaustedly to the finish. I ended up 88 of 233 overall and 14 of 44 in my age group. Not too shabby.

After the race I went to see Bruneau Canyon overlook. Talk about breath taking! It is the deepest canyon for its width in North America, I think. I will research more and add sources when I am on a computer (rather than this little phone).

At work, a few days before the 5k, i was head butted by an oh so lovely 200-300lb intact male horned Boer goat. Yup. It hurt. A lot. It is funny as all get up. But man, the bruises on my outer upper thigh were painful and impressive looking. Glad I was not hurt worse.

And now I am too tired to continue using this little single finger pointing keypad. I will try to add details later.

No comments:

Post a Comment