Monday, April 13, 2015

The Sky's the Limit...!

It has been a pretty darn fantastic weekend.

Easter weekend was a good one, too.  I think I already blogged about that.  I will add photos to that post of my kayaking adventures.

Saturday was spent going to roller derby practice for a wee bit.  Then I had to jet over to Boise for my FREE Spartan workout.  Whoa.  I wanted to vomit quite a few times.  I did not.  It was great!  My knees are covered in bruises and my elbows and knees are all skinned and scabbed over.

They (and by "they", I mean Camp Rhino Boise) organized and led it.  We did sprints, bear walks, alligator walks, frog jumps, army crawls, group v-sits with arms linked, partner pushes, etc.  The worst was the "inch worm".  Throughout the whole event, we were broken into 12 lines, in order of our birth month.  For the inch worm, we were in a row on hands and feet, asses up in the air.  The person in front of the line then hand to inch worm their way under all of us to the end.  Then the next person went and the one after that until the entire line had gone.  Fuuugghh!  Talk about hard!  I'm sure my ass hit quite a few faces.  I grumbled and swore.  But I was very happy I did it.  Besides, afterward, some of us went for burgers and beer.  Because, dammit, we earned it!  Oh, and the place we did it in was covered in goose shit, it was rainy and windy.  Yep.  Fucking awesome.  No sarcasm used.



On Sunday, I took my buddy Ross to my favourite wheeling trail in the Owyhees.  It was great.  I love that trail.  It follows a creek in a canyon on the way to Silver City.  So there are lots of water crossings and so nice to be in a riparian system in the middle of the high desert.  Here are pics from it:

This is the view from where I pooped.  And the next photo is what much of the trail looked like.


Canyon walls.

The next photos are of the "hardest" part of the trail: climbing up a steep-ish rock wall out of the creek.  When I first did this trail in my Xterra, I needed to be winched up.  This time, in the Jeep, I stuck it in 4lo and went up it, and down...twice, bwahahaha!

 
 
 
Standard Jeep poser shot on trail in water.  Water was so deep here that it went over my galoshes and into them.  Fuck.  Cold water!  Mmmm, mountain run off water.
 
 This was about as deep as it got.  Which is terribly sad.  The water should have at least been up to the bottom of my door, if not higher at this time of year.  It means we're in for another bad drought...again.  I wish we could get more snow in the winter so we'd have enough water to sustain us for the rest of the seasons.

We had our chapter meeting for Team RWB yesterday.  I love those people.  Even though I am not a vet and have not served in the Armed Forces (stupid medical stuff), I still feel included in their activities and am a useful and appreciated member.  I had an epiphany during the meeting.  I want to combine my love to Team RWB and its mission to help serve Vets in a positive manner, and my love of off roading.  When I off road and explore the backwoods, isolated parts of Idaho, I feel so fulfilled and complete.  I feel like I am a part of something bigger and more important; a piece of nature, a Grand Plan of sorts.  I cannot convey it into words very well.  But I get this enormous sense of satisfaction and happiness.  I want to share that with Vets or anyone, really, that is suffering in some capacity or in need of help.  I would really like to see if I can get one (or a few) of the local off road groups to organize a wheeling with Vets event.  Have a vet as a passenger, or maybe even let him/her drive parts of the trail.  To have various difficulty options available.  Maybe make it a scenic run, camp somewhere, play on rocks and return.  Share stories, or not.  Eat food.  Be in nature.  Be happy.  Hike? Psh, dunno.  So many ideas...
 




No comments:

Post a Comment