Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Fire and Ovaries

It appears that I am not very good at updating this when I do not have access to the internet via my desktop.  My keyboard is covered in a layer of dust.  I suppose it does not help that I tend to leave the windows open all day and the temperature control settings on OFF.  Yeah.  It gets hot in here during the day.  But 95% of my waking time is not spent at home.  Which is why tiny home/trailer living suits me so well.  Home is for sleeping and storing your moderate to consistently used items.  If I had my choice, I would live in the lush green mountains off grid far away from civilization, completely sustainable (or as best I can be with occasional trips to visit other people that I like and stock up on supplies).



And here I sit. My last period ever.  Yes.  In less than ten days I will be the proud non-owner of a uterus, fallopian tube and ovary.  I do not like the idea of surgery, but I like the idea of being in excruciating pain to the point of considering suicide even less.  Therefore, let it be so.  I hope to be a more functional employee as a result, too.  My mommy is flying in to town to care for me.  These are the things to consider when you live on your own and are single- major surgery recovery.  Since my surgery will eclipse her birthday, I am planning to have some friends take her out to celebrate while I am laid up in the hospital recovering.



I had my pre-op appointments yesterday.  I kid you not, I had to sign a form at both the OB/GYN and the hospital acknowledging that my hysterectomy will prevent me from having children.  Well no shit Sherlock.  Seriously?  I even asked what the point of the form was.  The nurse stated they have had people request a hysterectomy and plan for one and not realise they would not be able to bear children afterward.  W. T. F. !!!!  If that is the case, they need to be fast tracked through the process!



Today has ended on a melancholy note for me.  While at work, I could see smoke billowing from the Owyhee Mountains south of us.  Not a little bit of smoke.  I mean, cover the sky and blot out the sun for the whole day amount of smoke.  Now that the sun has set, I can see the scope of the fires.  According to the news, as of a few hours ago, the fire has grown to 78,000+ acres.  As I was driving home from Ms. Prince’s home (she lets me do laundry there), I could see almost the entire ridgeline alight with fire.  Keep in mind, that ridge line is about 75-100mi away (give or take 20mi).  The night sky is lit up with the fire and the length of it looks to be at least 25-40mi long along the ridgeline.  It is both a beautiful and saddening sight to behold.  I read about fires destroying areas every year.  Heck last year, fires destroyed much of the Pine and Featherville and Trinity Lakes area.  But those are not areas I visit often.  I visit the Owyhees multiple times a month.  They are some of my most visited and favoured areas.  And now they are on fire.  I am sad for their potential loss.  I am happy for their rebirth and growth.  But some of those sagebrush are 100s of years old.  And they will be blacked stumps.  The area will be fried to a windy dry dust.  No shade.  Just…blacks and grays.  *sigh*  I guess this fire is hitting close to home and I feel the loss of land ravaged by it.  Hopefully it does not move farther north.  I do not have a truck to move my home if it comes to that.  Nor will I be in town from Thurs-Sun. 

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/2015/08/11/soda-fire-threatens-ranches-near-idaho-oregon-border/31509207/


There is so much more to write, but it is WAY past my bed time and I am tired.  Hopefully I will get a chance to update again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment